Are fleas and ticks making their home on your pet? Try using pet friendly remedies made of natural ingredients. These are simple to make and less expensive than those made with chemicals.
Here are some suggestions on how to make your own tick and flea pet friendly remedies.
- Vinegar. You can use red, white or apple cider vinegar for this remedy. Just mix half a cup of vinegar and half a cup of water. Place this in a spray bottle and shake well. Use this to spray the part of your pet’s body where he is itching most. Make sure to keep the mixture away from your pet’s eyes because it will sting.
- Lemon juice. Another natural ingredient for getting rid of ticks and fleas is lemon juice. Just like with vinegar, you mix equal parts of lemon juice and water. Use this the same way as the vinegar spray. A second way to make a pet friendly remedy with this citrus is to place lemon quarters in a jar. Pour boiling water over them and let this sit overnight. Use as a spray the following day.
- Lavender flower and tea tree oil. This pet friendly remedy uses the essential oils extracted from lavender flowers and tea tree. Lavender has been a known medicinal plant used to treat viruses, irritations of the skin, inflammations and infections. Tea Tree extracts help rid the body of virus, bacteria, fungi and skin problems. Place ¾ cups of spring water, ¼ cup of distilled alcohol, 4 drops of tea tree oil and 12 drops of lavender oil in a spray bottle. Shake well and spray on your pet. You can use this on your pet three to four times daily. Make sure to brush your pet’s coat after spraying to evenly cover it with the mixture. Keep the liquid away from your pet’s face.
- Natural dog flea control using different herbs. Use the following herbs in powder form: rosemary, fennel, wormwood, eucalyptus, yellow dock and rue. Place the mixture of herbs in a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously. Apply this mixture to your dog. Sprinkle all over especially around the neck, on the back, under the armpits and the belly. You may want to do this outside your house so that the parasites will not stay indoors.
- Vacuum daily if there is an infestation. If your vacuum cleaner has a bag or canister, empty this outside the house immediately.
- Clean your pet’s bedding and other areas he frequents regularly. Wash his towel and beddings it in hot water. If he has a leash and collar, make sure to launder these as well.
- You can use the vinegar and water solution to spray your home.
- Place some Lavender flowers, Plant Fennel, Wormwood or Sage in areas frequented by your pet. These are natural flea and tick repellants.
- Seek your pet’s veterinarian if the problem has gotten out of hand.
Fleas and ticks are parasites that weaken your pet’s immune system. They irritate your pet’s skin making them scratch and itch like crazy. These parasites can also transmit diseases. Before the problem becomes worse, make sure to apply natural, pet friendly tick and flea remedies on your pets. Keep their surrounding, as well as your own home clean and parasite free. Using natural tick and flea remedies for your pets is a safer and environment friendly way of getting rid of those unwanted parasites.