Having a pet cat or any pet for that matter can be quite a lot of work. You have to feed, bathe, and clean your pet’s cage so that it does not get too dirty and stinky. This is difficult if your are working full time and you barely have enough time on your hands. But having a pet also has its rewards. You go home and relax with your pet at the end of a long and tiring day. Having a cat for a pet is less work than when you have a dog. Cats are easier to potty train. They do their business in the litter box and nowhere else. But over time, the box can get stinky because of all the accumulated droppings from your pet. Cleaning it frequently and keeping it odor-free is a must. This article will give you tips on how to keep your furry friend’s litter box fragrant.
- Use baking soda to eliminate the odor of the litter box. Baking soda absorbs the odor that accumulates in the litter box. When you have cleaned the box, sprinkle baking soda on the floor of the litter box before putting in the kitty litter. Pour a generous amount so that it absorbs all the odors in the litter box.
- Use crystal litter instead of clay litter. Although both kinds absorb urine, the crystal litter is more absorbent and covers up odor better than the clay one. It is a little pricier but it will be worth it if you do not smell your cat’s litter box.
- Wash the litter box regularly. Take out all the litter inside the box and set it aside. Wash the box thoroughly with soap and water. Make sure to rinse it properly because cats do not like the smell of soap. Dry it out in the sun before replacing the litter.
- Line the bottom of the box with old newspaper. Newspaper will help absorb the urine. It is also easier to throw the soiled litter because you can just scoop up the newspaper and stash it in a plastic bag together with the soiled litter.
- Use a litter box deodorizer. You can buy a deodorizer in pet shops. Mix it with the litter and it reduces the odor effectively.
- Remove soiled litter frequently. Do not wait for the box to get stinky. Once you see that your cat has done its business, scoop the waste and place it in a plastic sealable bag before tossing it into the trash. This way the waste will not smell while still in the garbage bin.
Do these suggestions every time your cat’s litter box becomes smelly. Or better yet, do not wait for it to get stinky. Set a schedule when you will clean the box, like once a week. This way, you maintain the litter box’s cleanliness. Your pet cat will love you more if it sees that her litter box is always clean and odor-free. Also, do not just throw the soiled litter anywhere. Make sure that you dispose of it properly and that it does not spill out of its plastic. Seal the soiled litter in a plastic before throwing it into the garbage.