The best house for your pet is your home, but sometimes it is not possible for your pet to share your living space. For these situations, here are some tips for selecting the best dog house possible for your pet. Consider the following when you are shopping for a new dog house:
- One of the most important questions you need to ask is how large is my pet? You will want to purchase a dog house large enough for your pet to turn around in, and with enough stretching room for your pet to lie down comfortably in any position. However, you do not want to get a dog house that is too large. Your pet will be able to warm a smaller space with his body heat, but a large space will not provide as much warmth and coziness for your pet.
- You will also want to consider the temperature extremes for your area. Some high-end pet homes can be heated in the winter and cooled in the summer.
- Consider a raised floor for better ventilation and protection from water during heavy rains.
- There are also dog houses available with doggie doors that keep cold air out in the winter.
- Dog houses can be built from several different materials including wood and plastic. Consider what materials will work the best in your climate.
- Dog houses are made in different shapes, from A-frames to igloos to sloping shed designs. What type of dog house will look the best in the location you have chosen?
- Does your dog chew? If your pet chews, you may want to consider a hard plastic dog house. An avid chewer can destroy a wooden dog house in a few days. You may also want to be careful of what type of insulation you use if your pet chews; consider the dog’s safety if he should ingest some of the insulation.
- Make sure that the design you choose is sturdy, safe and comfortable for your pet.
- Place your dog house in a location that provides shade in the summer and shelter from the wind and cold in the winter.
- Consider how you will clean your dog’s house. Are you looking for something you can hose out or do you want to get down on your hands and knees and clean out your pet’s home? Some dog houses feature a hinged roof or a roof that can be unhooked and completely lifted off.
- There are also contractors who will build a custom dog house for your pet to match your house or barn.
Your pet will use his dog house to shelter himself from the weather and from real or perceived threats. The dog house you choose should be a cozy place to snuggle up and escape from the world. Consider all of these factors when considering the best dog house to purchase for your best friend.