Caring for your pets means providing the things they need such as food, drinks, grooming materials, and other supplies such as cages, collars, leashes, toys and kennels. You may also purchase pet carriers and beds. If you have a lot of pets at home, you may find it expensive to buy pet supplies for each. It will help minimize costs if you can find discounts when looking for pet supplies.
Here are some tips on how to save money by looking for discount pet supplies.
- Search online for pre-owned items. Some pet supplies like kennels, cages, leashes and collars might be good enough even if they are already used. Chances are, the previous owner might not have used these items to the fullest, and so you might get something that is almost new. The best places to search online are ebay.com and craigslist.org.
- eBay is an online auction site where users can sell just about anything. You can try your luck by sending in your best bid, and if you’re the highest bidder, then the item is yours. Some sellers offer a “buy now” price, which is basically a fixed price to get the item. Craigslist.org, meanwhile, is a listing site that’s local-based. Say, you live in a certain state or city, it’s best to find items nearby you, so you can save on shipping and handling costs. Craigslist doesn’t offer automatic processing of purchases, though, so it’s up to you to strike a deal with the seller.
- Don’t be brand conscious. Some supplies, like dog carriers, for example, are sold by designer brands. That means they are costlier than generic ones, but most of the time the functionality is the same. So if you’re in need of accessories that are not too costly, you can go for lower-priced brands. Be sure to check online reviews for quality, though. Sometimes a higher price means better build and better after-sales support. But this may not always be the case.
- Buy in bulk. Sometimes, the way to save and earn discounts is to buy wholesale supplies. This is advisable if you have lots of pets or if you run a pet-related business. Pet stores give at least a ten to fifteen percent discount if you will buy wholesale supplies in one go, and so the price turns out cheaper than if you buy them separately. This is a technique by some stores to move stocks as quickly as possible. So, in a way, you are both helping each other.
- Buy from the same place and get frequent shopper discounts. Whether you buy online or from a physical store, chances are you can get big discounts if you are a frequent shopper. This may apply whether you buy in bulk or not. Try to ask the manager or the seller. For online purchases, you can ask for discount coupons. For shop purchases, you can talk to the sales people for discounts. They will appreciate your continued business, and therefore offering a you discount might be a good idea.
- Before looking for discounted pet supplies online, ask your pet’s veterinarian first, if he has an opinion on these brands and stores. The tendency for vet clinics is for them to offer you some in-house supplies at a higher cost. Even if this is the case, you can somehow be sure that what he offers is quality items that his or her clinic has already tried and tested. But if you can exert some extra effort in looking for a bargain, the cost savings might be well worth it.